Steve and I opted to complete the Donna Deegan Galloway training program in order to prepare for this year's marathon. I've always been a pseudo runner and love registering for runs around Florida. Steve tags along because he enjoys spending time with me but never trains. After our last escapade at the Disney Half-Marathon where he couldn't walk for 4 days, we decided we're too old to not train properly. I thought it would be blithe but was incredible wrong. This has been a true growth experience as I've learned to curtail my competitive spirit and build friendships. Through the initial program we completed a 5k last week. This is one of our shorter distances ever completed but we had a ball. Although, I shamelessly let loose and finished 2nd overall. 

My in-laws are thrilled that Steve and I have caught the running bug. To celebrate completion of the first phase of organized marathon training, they took us out for sushi. Steve's parents are both avid runners and have set the goal to complete marathons in every state together. They are well on their way.
It feels great to be on our way to completing a full marathon together. It is a little daunting to look at our training log and see 16 miles, 23 miles, or 26 miles listed. I must admit that Jelly Belly Energy Beans are often my motivation to head out for those long runs. Hey... they're good!

No comments:
Post a Comment